[Dovecot] problem getting mail from mbox

Gavin Estey gavin at estey.com
Wed Oct 15 05:44:17 EEST 2003

I'm trying to set up dovecot and I'm running into a few problems.

I just want to use IMAP for one user, everyone else gets POP3 from the
existing (working server).

$MAIL is set to /var/spool/mail/gavin_imap

In my /var/spool/mail directory I now have a problem:

-rw-------    1 gavin_im mail         1392 Oct 14 22:28 gavin_imap
-rw-------    1 gavin_im popusers        0 Oct 14 21:54 gavin_imap

When I try to get my mail, I guess it's checking the wrong file as I
can't download anything. I also can't delete the file (which I find
confusing as I am root):

[root at chicken mail]# rm gavin_imap
rm: cannot remove `gavin_imap': No such file or directory

I actually have the same problem with the dovecot log file. I have this
in my config:

info_log_path = /tmp/dovecot

-rw-------    1 root     root         4436 Oct 14 22:40 dovecot

[root at chicken tmp]# cat dovecot
cat: dovecot: No such file or directory

I don't get any obvious errors if I telnet in:

[root at chicken tmp]# telnet localhost 143
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK dovecot ready.
1 LOGIN gavin_imap <pass>
1 OK Logged in.
1 SELECT Inbox
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft \*)]
Flags permitted.
* 0 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1066184985] UIDs valid
* OK [UIDNEXT 1] Predicted next UID
1 OK [READ-WRITE] Select completed.
1 LOGOUT
* BYE Logging out
1 OK Logout completed.
Connection closed by foreign host.

This is confusing the hell out of me. Is there anything obvious that
I've screwed up?

Thanks!
Gavin.