[Dovecot] problems building / starting test40 + test42

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Fri Sep 17 02:39:16 EEST 2004

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On 16.9.2004, at 18:17, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>
>> The problem is you're trying to log in as user who has primary group
>> been set to wheel (ie. gid 0). There's two possible fixes:
>
> Although I don't understand why it would still say that error message
> with test42. I just tried and with me it gives:
>
> dovecot: Sep 16 18:24:32 Error: Logins for users with primary group ID 0
> (user cras) not permitted (see first_valid_gid in config file).
>
> And after setting it to 0 it allowed me to log in..

Yes.. this is because it's not when a user logs in.. it's when I _start_
Dovecot.  Hence the subject stating problems "starting" Dovecot.

I must admit, it's got me baffled... as I said in my original post - this isn't
the first time I've set up Dovecot.  Not even the first time I've set up a test
series version.  And always on a Solaris box.  Yet this time it doesn't work.

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net