[Dovecot] dovecot starts and exit immediately? - help needed

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jul 22 18:01:18 EEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 07:35 -0700, James Sun wrote:
> Since nobody answered my previous question on dovecot marking new
> mails as old mails, I decided to build a version of dovecot of my own
> to debug.
>
> I downloaded and compiled dovecot 1.0 (stable).  After setting up the
> conf file, I ran dovecot but it exited immediate with status 0.  As a
> result, remote client cannot connect and retrieve mails.
>
> There is no man page, and I only found two command line options, -F
> and -c.  None of these options seem to matter.
>
> Any suggestions?  I must have done something simple and wrong here.

It exits immediately because it leaves itself running to background,
unless -F option is given.

If it also dies immediately after, look at the log file to see what
error it gives. There should always be one, unless it's the dovecot
process itself that crashes (which you can notice with -F if it says
segmentation fault afterwards).