[Dovecot] dovecot 0.99 + apple mail.app

sean finney seanius at seanius.net
Mon Mar 7 18:50:54 EET 2005

hello all,

first off, a success story.  after much testing and preperation, we've
switched from uw-imap to dovecot.  i am not kidding when i say that
we have experienced an order of magnitude decrease in server load
(previously load peaks were 40-60, now they are 3-4).  so, suffice to
say that the mail admins here are very happy :)

one problem that has come up though is particular to apple's mail.app.
when a client recieves a new message, they aren't notified that it's
arrived, and often even when pressing "check for new mail" they don't
see it come in.  however, if they move from one mailbox to another,
and then back, it shows up.  it also shows up if thtey completely quit
out of the program and start it back up.

i'm going to try and get a packet dump of this to see if i can find out
what's happening in the conversation, but figured in the meantime i'd
put my feelers out to see if anyone else is having this problem.

thanks,
	sean