[Dovecot] dovecot through NFS

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat May 14 20:56:59 EEST 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-14 at 17:33 +0200, Marten Lehmann wrote:
> Since we're using maildir only, there's no problem to get the messages
> into the mailboxes. But what about dovecot for retrieving them? NFS will
> be v3. Is locking still a problem with it?

I don't know how well locking works with NFS in general (badly I've
heard), but Dovecot doesn't require fcntl locking anymore. Setting
"lock_method = dotlock" will just use dotlock files.

> Might the indexes get corrupt?

1.0-test70 should work pretty well with indexes being located in shared
filesystems as long as you set mmap_disable=yes.

NFS has one annoying problem though. It can't handle the cases when a
file is deleted (or another file is renamed over it), and a process
still tries to read the file. Dovecot doesn't yet handle all these error
cases so you might see some errors about stale file handles from time to
time.

But if you're using Dovecot in only one computer you can just store
indexes in local disk and you won't have any problems.