[Dovecot] strip domains

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Apr 12 16:05:24 EEST 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 09:36 -0500, Netlink Tech wrote:
> Hello,
> Running FC5 x86_64 with dovecot-1.0-0_8.beta3.rhfc5.at
> Using system user/passwds for 99.99% of users...have sql user/pass enabled
> to test virtual users from mysql.
>
> How do I strip off the domain when users provide user at domain.com so that
> my userdb and passdb use just 'user'? (disregarding sql auth...I'm not
> concerned with that right now).

In general I don't see this as very useful feature. Why are your users
logging in with @domain? Or why not change your passdbs/userdbs to just
contain the domain, and set auth_default_realm so everyone always logs
in with domains?

> My dovecot.conf auth config:
>
>   passdb pam {
>     args = dovecot
>    }

Here you could use some PAM plugin to strip it. I've no idea if such
exists though.

>    passdb sql {
>      args = /etc/dovecot-sql.conf
>    }

Here you can modify your SQL command to use %n instead of %u.

>    userdb passwd {
>    }

If the PAM plugin which strips the domain from username does it
properly, it should have returned the new username to Dovecot and this
should work..

>    userdb sql {
>      args = /etc/dovecot-sql.conf
>    }