[Dovecot] Mixed IMAP/POP3 environment: further informations

Denis Sbragion d.sbragion at infotecna.it
Tue Feb 7 17:32:42 EET 2006

Hello Timo,

At 16.03 07/02/2006, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 18:57 +0100, Denis Sbragion wrote:
>Umm.. If you haven't uncommented default_mail_env setting in
>dovecot.conf, Dovecot tries to autodetect the location of the mailbox.

I did even more, adding a couple of explicit namespaces as explained in the
wiki:

namespace private {
   separator = /
   prefix =
   location = maildir:%h/Maildir
}
namespace private {
   separator = /
   inbox = yes
   prefix = "#mbox/"
   location = mbox:%h/MBox:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
   hidden = no
}

Without this of course Dovecot doesn't understand that the INBOX is in mbox
format and the user repository is instead in Maildir format. If I
undesrtand properly the comments in the sample configuration file
default_mail_env has no effect when such namespaces are set. BTW I also
tried with default_mail_env uncommented and set to empty to no avail.

Apart from the changes above the configuration file is pretty much the one
supplied with the default distribution. Another hint: the package has been
built from the source RPM supplied with fedora devel. I know for sure that
the fedora package includes a couple of patches to the base source. If you
think that they might be related to the problem I can check which kind of
patches are applied.

Thanks for your help,
--
	Denis Sbragion