[Dovecot] dovecot-lda and vpopmail

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Fri Jan 20 21:42:13 EET 2006

I'm setting up a new box with Dovecot 1.0 beta1 and vpopmail.  Normal
operations works like a charm, i.e. vpopmail virtual can log in
sucessfully using TLS.

However, when trying to test dovecot-lda out of CVS, it is not locating
the user:

> *** Starting dovecot-imapd service...
> dovecot: Info: Dovecot v1.0.beta1 starting up
> dovecot: Info: auth(default): master in: USER   1       postmaster at example.com service=deliver
> dovecot: Info: auth(default): master out: USER  1       postmaster      uid=89 gid=89   home=/home/vpopmail/domains/example.com/postmaster
> dovecot: Error: auth(default):

except that the "master out" line *has* the correct information, though
I don't know what that "Error" line is trying to tell me.

However, I am getting the mail bounced back with:

> deliver: Fatal: mail setting not given

which is this error in the src/deliver.c:607

         /* MAIL comes from userdb, DEFAULT_MAIL_ENV from dovecot.conf */
         mail_env = getenv("MAIL");
         if (mail_env == NULL)
                 mail_env = getenv("DEFAULT_MAIL_ENV");
         if (mail_env == NULL)
                 i_fatal_status(EX_CONFIG, "mail setting not given");

which would certainly suggest that the userdb access failed in deliver
(though the log would see to seem to suggest otherwise).

I even tried setting the DEFAULT_MAIL_ENV in dovecot.conf, but that
didn't work either.

Anyone have any ideas about what I am missing?

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group