[Dovecot] dovecot-1.0.rc2 hangs while copying to Sent

Pete Slagle list-dovecot at voidcaptain.com
Wed Jul 26 04:15:43 EEST 2006

Pete Slagle wrote:

> Jack Bailey wrote:
>
>> Marcus Rueckert wrote:

>>> could it just be that mozilla mail and mozilla thunderbird share a fair
>>> amound of code?
>>>
>>> darix
>>>
>> Here is an example that I can get to fail every time.  I have an IMAP
>> account here locally and an IMAP account at another ISP.  When I move
>> messages from folders at the other ISP to folders on my local IMAP
>> server, Tbird hangs indefinitely.  Tbird works perfectly with beta8, and
>> this is with the same dovecot.conf file that I use with rc2 and see fail.
>>
>> Locally I am using NFS-mounted mail and home directories.  Both client
>> and server are running CentOS 4.3.
>>
>> Jack
>
> Whoa, wha happen!?
>
> I just upgraded from beta8 to rc2, and dovecot has gone from being fast
> and responsive to being nearly unusably slow and hanging Thunderbird
> every few operations. (I made no configuration changes.)
>
> I am running dovecot on a FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p2 server, and Thunderbird
> 1.5.0.4 (20060605) on client machines running both FreeBSD 6.1 and
> Windows XP SP2.
>
> I already set the maximum cached connections to 1 and restarted
> Thunderbird; it didn't help. I still get a hang on copying to "Sent" files.
>
> Pete

Forgot to mention:

   auth_cache_size=0 (or whatever the default is when you don't set it)

and it's not an SSL issue:

   auth default {
         mechanisms = plain
         passdb pam {
                 args = session=yes *
         }
         userdb passwd {
         }
         user = root
   }

The problems are much worse for the Thunderbird clients running on
FreeBSD than for those on XP, although they are all running 1.5.0.4.

All was well in beta8 - what changed?