[Dovecot] Outlook causes BIG dovecot index problem (beta 8, outlook 2003)

Casey Allen Shobe lists at seattleserver.com
Fri May 26 12:05:13 EEST 2006

Hey all,

Well, I typed up all the below, then managed to fix the problem before
sending this to the list.  I'll send it anyways, in case anybody else is
affected by it (and because it does indicate a definite bug in Dovecot's
experimental Kerberos support).  The fix is to recompile without
kerberos enabled, and to take gssapi out of the auth methods in the
config (the latter alone may or may not be enough of a fix on it's own,
I didn't try it without recompiling).

I'm guessing that Outlook attempts to use Kerberos authentication by
default or something and silently fails and uses other auth methods, and
that any attempt to use Kerberos is in fact what hoses the server.
However I have not done any further testing against beta8 with a
Kerberos-enabled client such as KMail, so I leave this as an exercise
for the next adventurer.

I'm also uncertain as to why this problem does not manifest on our main
servers, which also have Kerberos enabled (and Outlook 2003 clients).
Or /had/ anyways, as I'm disabling Kerberos support as we speak as a
preventative measure.

Here's the problem description:

I've been running dovecot happily for many months on our production mail
servers hosting about 600 accounts, with no problems.  People use every
mail client under the sun - Apple Mail, Outlook 97|2000|XP|2003, Outlook
Express, Mutt, Thunderbird, Mozilla Mail, Eudora, and other esoteric
things with no problem.

So today I installed a new mail server on a client site dedicated to
their domain.  The MTA is exim, running with almost the same
configuration we use on our main servers.  The dovecot.conf is 100%
identical.  No mail was moved by hand to the new mail server - to
migrate we copied the mail setting up the old and new accounts in
Thunderbird and dragging things over (just to rule out that possibility,
we have also tested using brand new empty accounts to reproduce the issue).

Everything is golden using Thunderbird - email is send, and shows up in
the inbox immediately.

Enter Outlook 2003 (SP1):  It shows all folders and mail fine.  It sends
mail fine.  Nothing shows up in the inbox.  At this moment, Thunderbird
also stops receiving new mail in the inbox.  I check the server, and
there's a mail sitting in the /new directory in the maildir.  Not only
that, but suddenly NONE of the accounts on the box show any new mail,
exhibiting the same signs.

I tried a variety of things, including 'sync', removing all the dovecot*
index files in the maildir, and restarting dovecot (being sure to
killall imap before bringing it back up).  Sometimes, these steps would
magically cause everything to work again, until I did a mail poll in
Outlook which causes the problem to re-occur.  Other times, these steps
didn't seem to do anything.  A couple times, for no apparent reason,
without doing anything, mail would show up.  Too hopeful, we sat around
for 30 minutes sending more mail to an account and then just
idling...nothing showed up.

The hardware is good, we've compiled a full glibc and gcc just to ensure
that there are no CPU/memory issues, and this box has a solid good
history behind it in it's prior uses.

Until Outlook is used, everything works fine.  We do have the
outlook-idle workaround enabled, and tried both with and without
delay-newmail, which didn't make any difference.

Cheers,
--
Casey Allen Shobe | cshobe at seattleserver.com | 206-381-2800
SeattleServer.com, Inc. | http://www.seattleserver.com