[Dovecot] considering dovecot

Rick Hazey rhazey at bitworx.com
Tue Nov 28 21:01:19 UTC 2006

Hi all.

I'm making a case to use Dovecot over Courier and would like some
feedback. I've searched the web extensively and have been unable to
find any hard information regarding Dovecot's IMAP performance. I've
got some pressure to use Courier but my gut tells me that Dovecot
should be much faster. In particular, I will have typical users with
mailboxes exceeding 10,000 emails and in some cases up to 100,000.
Courier might be the "safe" choice but I'm not confident it can
handle inboxes with that many messages. Dovecot, with its indexes,
should be much, much faster. Can anyone point me to some benchmarks
or production uses of dovecot that bear this out?

 From my research, Courier maildrop appears to be what I need for
local delivery. Is it possible to use Maildrop for local delivery
with Dovecot? Or is the Dovecot LDA needed to update the maildir

I also need the capability for users to set their own vacation
messages via a web page. Maildrop looks to handle this easily (by
allowing me to link the maildrop filter to a file with the vacation
message) but I don't see similar capability with the Sieve plugin. I
do see where I can create a vacation message with Sieve but the text
of the message seems to be required to reside within the Sieve
script. Perhaps I'm missing something?