[Dovecot] Problem/workaround with X-Keywords and Apple's Mail.app
joeycoleman at acm.org
Thu Nov 30 19:40:36 UTC 2006
I've just switched from UW-IMAP to Dovecot, and for the most part,
things are good.
However, I encountered the problem with the X-Keywords header not
being written back into individual messages in an mbox file
(originally described in , and Timo gave a clue as to maybe why in
What was happening for me is that Apple's Mail.app would flag a
message as spam, which happily sets a couple keywords in the message,
but those weren't being written back (at least, I didn't see them in
the file on the server). The "DO NOT DELETE..." message had a
perfectly fine X-IMAP header, and up until I switched things were
The user visible symptom of this happened every time new spam
arrived in my Junk folder  --- the new spam would arrive, be
flagged as spam by Mail.app, and the earlier pieces of mail would
promptly be unflagged!
Anyway, Timo's clue in  prompted me to turn off both
mbox_lazy_writes and mbox_dirty_syncs (the latter just on the off-
chance... it's a low-volume server, so I can deal with the
inefficiency). Lo and behold, Mail.app started acting sane again
*and* the X-Keywords header appeared immediately.
Oddly, during all of this, the Status and X-UID keywords would
appear in the messages just fine; no clue as to why those and not X-
Version details are:
- Dovecot 1.0rc13 
- FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE
- Apple Mail.app 2.1 (752/752.2)
 And it felt really strange while troubleshooting this as I found
myself *hoping* for another piece of spam to arrive. Bleh.
 Yes, two versions behind current, but in my defense, I did check
the announcements and they didn't seem to mention the problem.
More information about the dovecot