[Dovecot] Status of Shared Folders?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Oct 24 17:47:52 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 12:33 -0400, Charles Marcus wrote:
> Hi Timo,
>
> I'm just curious... is the Wiki up to date regarding the status of
> Shared Folder support for Dovecot?

Support for "Public folders" is doable, users sharing folders to each
others is not supported.

BTW. I did think about this (and many other things) recently when
driving several hours in a car and having nothing else to do. I guess I
should write down those ideas before I forget about them completely
again.

> Specifically, does Dovecot still have a problem with Read-only (for
> certain users) maildirs using Shared folders defined via namespaces?

I think it should work.. At least I can't remember why it wouldn't work.
If it does, please remove that text from the wiki :)

> Having per-user read/unread flags will be a very nice bonus, but I don't
> see anything about support for those...

That works too, as long as you set the index file path to be different
for each user, ie. something like:

location = maildir:/var/public/Maildir:INDEX=%h/.shared-indexes