[Dovecot] 1.1b13 build in FreeBSD fails using 'make'; 'gmake' apparently required

Gerard gerard at seibercom.net
Mon Dec 31 17:57:37 EET 2007

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 16:46:26 +0100
"Frank Behrens" <frank at pinky.sax.de> wrote:

> mikkel at euro123.dk <mikkel at euro123.dk> wrote on 31 Dec 2007 14:44:
> > There are many good reasons for not using the port.
> >
> > Dovecot is constantly releasing new betas that should be tested and
> > it might not be feasible to wait for them to go into ports.
>
> Yes, that's true. But I had never problems to test new versions with
> a modified port. I copied the port files to a new directory and
> changed the Makefile, e.g.:
>
> WRKDIR=                ${.CURDIR}/work
> DISTDIR=               ${.CURDIR}
> PACKAGES=               /var/ports/packages
>
> PORTNAME=       dovecot
> DISTVERSION=    1.1.beta8
> CATEGORIES=     mail ipv6
> MASTER_SITES=   http://www.dovecot.org/releases/1.1/beta/
>
> You can test snapshots with:
>
> #DISTVERSION=   20071023
> #MASTER_SITES=  http://www.dovecot.org/nightly/
> #WRKSRC=                ${WRKDIR}/dovecot-20070522
> #CONFIGURE_ARGS+= --with-storages=mbox,maildir
>
> This works on FreeBSD-7 in a jail.

That looks like an excellent idea. I have tinderbox installed, which I
occasionally use to test different builds. Either way, at least you can
tell if something is going to build or not.

--

Gerard
gerard at seibercom.net

To be considered successful, a woman must be much better at her job
than a man would have to be.  Fortunately, this isn't difficult.