[Dovecot] Input and suggestions: Mail mirror setup

Christopher J. Buckley chris at cjbuckley.net
Sun Aug 31 02:28:24 EEST 2008

Ulf Zimmermann wrote:
>> What you outline is not a "mirror" at all, but a secondary mailhub,
>> with
>> a rather convoluted and inappropriate setup. If you wish to create
>> distributed mailstores use postfix transports.
>
> No, I am really talking about a copy of any email sent from a number of
> machines. Our developers
> use all kind of different ways to generate emails and reports and well,
> sometimes emails get lost
> (to outside customers) and we are getting asked to resend those reports.

So that isn't a mirror at all, is it?

You need an archiving facility. I suggest either looking at a commercial
supported option or giving MailScanner [http://mailscanner.info] a look.
Read up on the 'Archive Mail' setting, and then incorporate MailScanner
with MailWatch (search sourceforge).  You can then easily search and
retrieve messages sent from your MTA's. I am sure you can take care of
the database clustering requirements for your separate locations [hint:
use a Multi Master setup].

> So I am really looking at a copy of any email sent, to be stored at a
> central location, which a retention
> time of maybe 1 week.

See above.

HTH