[Dovecot] Fixed a Duplicate?

Nigel Allen prosmart at jamesons.com.au
Mon May 19 02:20:32 EEST 2008

Greetings

We have recently switched from mbox to Maildir so that we can implement
symlinks for a large email account that is shared (partially) between
some 20 or so users.

The setup is dovecot-1.0.3-6.fc6, procmail-3.22-17.1, sendmail-8.13.8-2.

Procmail has a single recipe in /etc/procmailrc that simply says
"DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/".

The problem is that I am seeing a lot of blank emails being created.

For exaample, every time I open a folder from this shared account, I get
either one or two emails being created on the spot. The are /always/
created with the current date and time stamp (i.e. now) and at the same
time a tail -f of maillog shows something like this:

> May 19 09:10:05 sydsrv56 dovecot: IMAP(plans): Fixed a duplicate:
> dovecot-shared:2, -> 1211152205.P10039Q1.sydsrv56

The only thing that appears to change is the last modified date and time
of the two files, dovecot.index.log and dovecot.index.cache.

Should I be maintaining separate index files or lock files for each user
in this shared account? Currently the Maildir is shared and has the g+s
bit set.

Any ideas where I can start looking would be appreciated.

Rgds

Nigel.

believed to be clean.