[Dovecot] RFC 3516 - IMAP4 Binary Content Extension

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue May 20 03:12:00 EEST 2008

On May 19, 2008, at 9:59 AM, Anton Yuzhaninov wrote:

> Timo Sirainen пишет:
>> On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 02:48 +0400, Anton Yuzhaninov wrote:
>>> Is Binary Content Extension (rfc3516) support planned?
>> It's not in my near-term plans. Where are you planning on using it?
>> Are
>> there some clients that support it?
>
> It may be useful in loaded web-mail applications (base64 decoding
> implemented in C is more cpu/memory efficient than in perl or other
> web scripting language).
>
> And may be we will use this extension in the webmail for our free-
> mail service (http://mail.rambler.ru)
>
> Popular desktop clients AFAIK don't support rfc3516.
>
> Is it possible to write plugin for support this extension?

I think a plugin would be possible, since it's possible to add
dynamically more FETCH handlers using imap_fetch_handlers_register().
With v1.1 this is even easier because you can use lib-mail/message-
decoder.h to have Dovecot decode the base64/qp parts. Hmm. Although it
forces translating charset to UTF-8, which isn't wanted with BINARY. I
guess that part could have been made optional in the API..