[Dovecot] error in 1.1.2

Cor Bosman cor at xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 8 23:28:46 EEST 2008

> > Ive been getting a LOT of these errors since 1.1.2:
>
> What version did you use before?

I used 1.1-rc4 -> 1.1.1 -> 1.1.2

> > So far ive seen this
> > with 1800 customers, and we're getting active complaints about errors in
> > imap clients.  When I check the users log I always see this error..
> > This always happens with COPY commands in Squirrelmail.
>
> *always*? Does the patch here help:

I phrased it wrong. All complaints are exactly the same, but it of course
doesnt happen with every COPY, else our customers would be unable to
use imap :)

They all paste some squirrelmail error with a dutch message basically
saying:  connection dropped by imap server: Query: COPY 983,987 "Trash"
It's always a COPY command they're pasting.

They often say it took a while to get the error, and some people are
suggesting it's only with large emails. So it could be a PHP timeout
related bug, although im not positive.

I dont think it's a coincidence that every single person that complaints
has that set of errors in the dovecot error log. Over the past week ive found
1800 seperate users, and thats still only a fraction of our total user base.

> http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2006-December/018145.html
>
> But even then, errors in cache file handling are ignored and they
> shouldn't be visible to clients. What error exactly do the clients see?
> Does the COPY command fail with NO? Does anything else get logged
> besides these rename/file_dotlock_replace lines?

I dont know exactly what the clients see. It looks like php loses the
connection to the imap server. Ive been trying to find a customer that can
repeat this consistently so I can turn rawlog on. I dont see any dovecot
crashes though.

I'll add that patch to 1 or 2 servers and see if the errors disappear on
those servers.

Cor