[Dovecot] client certs with godaddy ssl cert

mouss mouss at netoyen.net
Sat Sep 27 14:22:06 EEST 2008

Harondel J. Sibble wrote:
> I've read the client ssl cert section in the wiki and it talks about using a
> self signed cert, if I am using a commercial cert, in this case godaddy, how
> do I implement a self signed cert for the client side and have dovecot make
> use of this?  I know the mechanics of setting up the self signed ca, the
> question is more what configuration changes do I need to make in dovecot to
> handle both godaddy and the self signed ca functionality?

if you have a commercial cert, you don't need a self signed cert. self
signed certs are for people who don't want to get a cert signed by a 3d
party (commercial or other). For email, you generally don't need a
commercial certificate because your users know you and you know them,
and because users don't connect to thousand imap servers.