[Dovecot] dovecot-shared and shared "\Seen" flags

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Oct 29 23:44:36 EET 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 16:16 -0500, Dave wrote:
> >> (b) Indicate to Dovecot in some way other than the dovecot-shared file
>  >> which permissions to use for any messages created?
>  >
>  > In v1.2 the permissions are taken from parent directory.
>
> Hmm, that might be the best solution then, an upgrade to 1.2.  Fwiw, I
> also tried NOT using the dovecot-shared file and just relying on the
> UMASK=007 directive I put in .procmailrc to create the messages with the
> correct permissions..... and that worked!  Well, as far as the messages
> themselves go.  However, the dovecot.index, dovecot.index.log, and
> dovecot-uidlist all got rewritten with only user permissions and created
> problems.

v1.2 is the first version that actually tries to handle permissions
correctly everywhere. In previous versions umask sometimes did something
and sometimes it didn't.

> I'm guessing dovecot-shared is the only way to make sure
> those files keep their correct permissions?

There's also umask setting in dovecot.conf that I think overrides the
UMASK in procmail. You could try setting it, but if that doesn't help
either then yeah, v1.2 or dovecot-shared are the only possibilities.