[Dovecot] Disconnected: Too many invalid IMAP commands

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Sat Sep 19 00:26:44 EEST 2009

Quoting Noel Butler <noel.butler at ausics.net>:

> On Fri, 2009-09-18 at 11:11 -0500, Eric Jon Rostetter wrote:
>

>> > I have never understood anyone who would use a distro for critical
>> > applications that forces them to use 3+ year old software.
>>
>> Because it is stable and just plain works, of course.
>

> Oh what rubbish

No...  Really, I've got lots of machines on older distros (3+ years)
that are just plain stable and just plain work.

Note there is nothing forcing me to stay with their old dovecot version
either, just because I want to use their old distro.  Your assertion is
just plain wrong, not to mention biased.

> ubuntu released a brand new version of their
> distribution,

Which distribution?  LTS, or desktop, or server, or another?

> cant recall if it was 8.04 or 8.10,

Well, that's helpful...  Since the current LTS is 8.04, it better not be 8.10
you are talking about...  Because that isn't an LTS version...

> with MailScanner,
> which never worked, not only was it I think years old version, it was

I doubt it was years old at the release of the LTS version, though often
it is a version or two behind due to production timelines and overlaps.

In any case, I know of several people who are _VERY_ happy with Ubuntu
8.04 LTS and MailScanner...  So personally, I don't put a lot of stock
in your vague claims without even specific version numbers to back you up.

> just made a deb and inserted as a "stable" package, which never ran or
> was it ever going to with how it was packaged, so please don't sit there
> and spin that rot that debian associated people also do.

I have never ran debian, so I won't spin any rot that debian people do.
But I do run long-term support distros of linux, so I will spin the
appropriate rot as needed.

> IMHO, if you want to use a distros version of package X, then you accept
> ALL of the risks that go with it

Sure, you AND the distro provider, assuming the distro provider offers
support.  In the case of a LTS version, that is of course implied (and
should be true, as long as they don't go out of business).

> and you should NEVER ask for help on
> the upstreams site

I see no reason not to ask, but I also believe:

1) You _should_, though don't have to, ask the distro support first, as that
    is why you run a LTS distro and in many cases pay for the LTS support.
2) The upstream site support has the right to refuse service, and send
    you to the distro support, or recommend you upgrade, etc.

> and the projects I'm involved with will either ignore
> you, or tell you to go to the distro for help.

I hope I don't use any software from a project that ignores me!
If I was ignored for any project I requested help from, I'd surely
find another project instead...

> If package maintainers
> insist on doing things like this, then they accept full responsibility
> for it, adn who are they to decide a version 3 yo is more stable than
> the one released last week.

So what's your point?

BTW, I run dovecot on two servers; one is 1.1.5 and the other is 1.2.4.
Timo has always supported me fully on each.  But since each is not the
current stable version, I guess I don't have a clue what I'm doing and
I guess Timo is wrong for supporting me -- at least from your point of view?
That is what your emails say at least...

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

This message is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind,
either expressed or implied.  Use this message at your own risk.