[Dovecot] Seperator

Willie Gillespie wgillespie+dovecot at es2eng.com
Wed Apr 13 01:42:42 EEST 2011

On 04/12/2011 03:35 PM, Carsten Laun-De Lellis wrote:
> Hi all
>

> I hope to get some help on the separator. I am sure that I hava a wrong
> understanding what the separator is.
>

> I thaught the separator is the delimiter within the imap folder structure.
>

> For example:
>

> Imap folder structure: folder Flights, subfolder Lufthansa
>
> If the delimiter is “.” the ls –a command should result:
>
> .Flights                 .Flights.Lufthansa
>
> If delimiter is  “/”
>
> Flights                  Flights/Lufthansa
>

> I tried several delimiters but only the “.” Works.

As far as I know, the folder structure (ls -a) will always* show
.Flights
.Flights.Lufthansa

It is in the IMAP commands that they use the delimiter ("/" in this case):
1 NAMESPACE
* NAMESPACE (("" "/")) NIL NIL
1 OK Namespace completed.

2 SUBSCRIBE Flights/Lufthansa
2 OK Subscribe completed.

Or, if you use "." as the delimiter:
1 NAMESPACE
* NAMESPACE (("" ".")) NIL NIL
1 OK Namespace completed.

2 SUBSCRIBE Flights.Lufthansa
2 OK Subscribe completed.

* there are some Dovecot configurations where you can change that by
using layout=fs