[Dovecot] SUMMARY: LDA vs LMTP, Cyrus SASL, verbose_proctitle

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 02:56:00 EEST 2011

Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

> On Mon, 2011-04-11 at 18:19 -0700, Joseph Tam wrote:
>
> > Also, one significant advantage not mentioned for LMTP was that one
> > delivery failure to multiple recipients can be disambiguated; LDA can only
> > return an exit code to be tested by the MTA, but the MTA cannot know
> > which recipient(s) generated the error.
>
> In almost all setups MTA delivers mails to LDA one at a time. Multiple
> deliveries are useful only if you want to try to get the same mail file
> hard linked to all recipients. So normally this is a non-issue.

I guess my sendmail is not normal.  The default configuration does pool
multiple recipient delivery and run mail.local with all these users as
arguments in one invocation.

dovecot-lda doesn't seem to support multiple recipients per invocation,
so this won't be a problem.  The implication for sendmail users,
though, is that multiple concurrent deliveries must be disabled if you
use dovecot-lda (the 'm' flag must be removed from LOCAL_MAILER_FLAGS)
as implicitely done in

 	http://wiki2.dovecot.org/LDA/Sendmail

I notice the 'A' flag is missing here: doesn't this kill aliasing?  If and
when I can fully test my setup, I will update this page.

> >       echo "main(int c,char**v){**v='x';sleep(9);}" | \
> >               gcc -xc -o y -; ./y; rm y &
> >       ps -f
>
> IIRC /usr/ucb/ps shows the changes.

Ah.  I'll take your word for it since I only have the SysV stuff
installed.  Thanks for the info.

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>