[Dovecot] Samba AD and Dovecot

Jason Gunthorpe jgunthorpe at obsidianresearch.com
Sun Feb 6 06:31:38 EET 2011

On Sat, Feb 05, 2011 at 08:39:37PM -0700, Trever L. Adams wrote:

> > Set these things in the config
> >
> > auth_use_winbind = yes
> >
> >   mechanisms = plain gssapi gss-spnego login ntlm

> Ok, I do this step differently as I use gssapi directly and not with
> winbind.

This is also what this does. auth_use_winbind only affects gss-spnego
and ntlm which call out to the ntlm_auth helper to make it go. IMHO,
if you have AD you should set this up too.

> I use postfix instead of exim. How do you know what user is valid and
> what isn't in exim. I don't see any LDAP. I use LDAP (both postfix and
> dovecot deliver... I have to use LDAP for the aliases to be setup the
> way they have been requested). I also don't see any mention of any other
> user database.

In my simple world everything rides on nss_winbind and winbindd. These
instructions are just how to setup kerberos for authentication
not the much sticker authorization..

Jason