[Dovecot] Documentation of Redis and Memcache Backends

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Dec 18 21:23:38 EET 2012

On Thu, 2012-12-06 at 14:46 +0100, Urban Loesch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in the release notes of 2.1.9 I read that dovecot supports memcache and redis backends for
> userdb/passdb authentication. This is very interesting for me and should reduce queries and database load of
> our mysql servers.
>
> My idea is to use memcache or redis in our IMAP/POP3 proxies in front of our backend servers.
> So I would like to try out if it's possible to store proxy information of our backends. For
> example the backend ip adress.
>
> But in the wiki I found only a few configuration settings for redis backend.
> http://master.wiki2.dovecot.org/AuthDatabase/Dict

That's all the Redis/memcached-specific configuration. Just make them
return all the extra fields you want in the JSON values.

You could for example put a passdb/userdb dict first and sql next. So
requests are first tried from the dict and if that fails then from sql.

> Also the mentioned example config file "dovecot-dict-auth.conf.ext" with full list of configuration options
> does not exits in the source of 2.1.11.

Looks like it was missing from the Makefile. Will be in next version and
you can also see it from:

http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.1/file/tip/doc/example-config/dovecot-dict-auth.conf.ext