[Dovecot] maildir vs mdbox

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Jan 28 18:37:19 EET 2012

On 28.1.2012, at 18.13, Jean-Daniel Beaubien wrote:

> Considering my use case (small number of accounts but alot of emails per
> account, and I should add that they are mostly small emails, most under 5k,
> alot under 30k) what mdbox setting would you recommend i start testing with
> (mdbox_rotate_size and mdbox_rotate_interval).

mdbox_rotate_interval is useful only if you want smaller incremental backups (so files that are backed up no longer change unless messages are deleted). Its default is 0 (I just fixed example-config, which showed it as 1day).

I don't really know about mdbox_rotate_size. It would be nice if someone were to test different values over longer period and report how it affects disk IO.