[Dovecot] Berkeley DB with Dovecot

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Sun May 20 20:00:33 EEST 2012

On Sun, 20 May 2012 10:13:45 -0500
/dev/rob0 articulated:

>On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 08:11:33AM -0400, Jerry wrote:
>> >
>> >SQLite is the appropriate solution for this scenario.
>>
>> Requires loading another application when it is not necessary.
>
>What application in particular? SQLite is a file format, not a
>daemon. Both Dovecot and Postfix support it well (in the latter case,
>use at least 2.8.9 or 2.9 due to a bug.)
>
>sqlite3(1) is the console client for SQLite. You can use that or any
>other SQLite client to maintain your database file.
>
>My own sordid SQLite mail server howto is linked at the .sig site.

What I meant was that "SQLite" would have to be installed on the
system. As far as I know, it is not; although MySQL is. I just talked
to my friend and he told me the problem was that the owner of the
company was/is afraid of damaging the databases presently in use. We
are going to assure him that no such thing will happen and hopefully put
his mind at ease. At present all of their mail is handled by a third
party and they want to now handle it all in house.

I still think that supporting Berkeley DB is a worthwhile goal; however
that is my own 2¢.

--
Jerry ♔