[Dovecot] Master User Question

Marc Perkel marc at perkel.com
Mon Oct 8 21:32:51 EEST 2012

On 10/8/2012 11:26 AM, Robert Schetterer wrote:
> Am 08.10.2012 20:09, schrieb Marc Perkel:
>> OK - I'm trying to do weird stuff so rather not answer why I'm doing this.
>>
>> Trying to log in using a master user:
>>
>> user at example.com*master at master.com
>>
>> When debugging the master authenticates - but then it tries to
>> authenticate user at example.com and it's not found. And - it is true that
>> the user doesn't actually exist.
>>
>> What I want to do is allow it to log in without checking if the user
>> exists, just on the credentials of the master.
> i dont understand why login should work with masteruser to user , when
> user does not exist, would you like to get the user created on the fly
> by masteruser login etc ?

The directory structure for user at example.com exists. Just not in the
regular mysql database. If I create a fake passdb system it works:

passdb {
   driver = static
   args = nopassword=y
}

However - it leaves the system wide open for anyone. Basically - only
master users are going to log in and manage stored spam for regular
users. The master user will be able to spoof being the regular user to
review stored spam.