[Dovecot] clucene build warnings?

Tom Hendrikx tom at whyscream.net
Mon Sep 17 11:40:11 EEST 2012

On 9/16/12 4:41 PM, Charles Marcus wrote:
> Hi all/Timo,
>
> Is clucene still the best/recommended method for enabling full text search?
>
> Although I haven't enabled FTS yet, I plan on doing sometime in the
> future, and was going to be using clucene, but before I do, I'd like to
> see if I need to worry about an issue I've been seeing ever since I
> first installed clucene (and still get every time it is upgraded)...
>
> I run gentoo linux on an amd64 server, and have always gotten this
> warning whenever it is updated (and also got it when I first installed it):
>
> QA Notice: Package triggers severe warnings which indicate that it
>            may exhibit random runtime failures.
> /var/tmp/portage/dev-cpp/clucene-2.3.3.4-r4/work/clucene-core-2.3.3.4/src/core/CLucene/index/DocumentsWriter.cpp:129:33:
> warning: passing NULL to non-pointer argument 2 of ‘void* memset(void*,
> int, size_t)’
> Please do not file a Gentoo bug and instead report the above QA
> issues directly to the upstream developers of this software.
> Homepage:http://clucene.sourceforge.net/
>
> Has anyone else ever seen similar warnings when building clucene?
>
> Is the gentoo ebuild output correct that this is not a gentoo bug, but
> is in fact a problem with upstream?
>
> If so, is it harmless? Or should I try to get upstream to fix it?

Same warnings here (gentoo 32bit). The gentoo package management simply
checks the gcc output for warnings, and reports them to you after the
build completes. As long as the warnings are not related to patches
added by gentoo, the issue should go upstream. Whether it is a serious
issue, that can only be decided by reviewing the code itself, which
would be more appropriate for a lucene dev than a dovecot dev ;)

I suggest that you simply report the issue upstream and see what
happens. If the code is harmless, they might just change it the so that
gcc doesn't complain about it in the future.

--
Tom