[Dovecot] Chown ChgrpNoPerm problem

Robert JR roundcube222 at alaadin.org
Mon Sep 10 20:28:37 EEST 2012

Hello,

I just have a one simple question. my logs has the
following entries

Sep 9 02:48:10 dovecot: pop3(r): Error:
fchown(/home/r/mail/.imap/INBOX/dovecot.index.log.newlock, -1, 12(mail))
failed: Operation not permitted (egid=501(r), group based on
/var/mail/r)
Sep 9 11:22:30 dovecot: pop3(r): Error:
fchown(/home/r/.imap/INBOX/dovecot.index.log.newlock, -1, 12(mail))
failed: Operation not permitted (egid=501(r), group based on
/var/mail/r)

i know that chmod 0600 /var/mail , will solve the problem
and i will no longer receive the above errors again

But my question is
that incase i did not set chmod /var/mail 0600, can i ignore such
errors, is these errors harmful ? if this errors keep coming and i
ignored them would this cause mbx corruption .. please advise

My
dovecot conf is

disable_plaintext_auth = no
mail_debug =
yes
mail_location = mbox:~/mymail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
mbox_write_locks =
fcntl
passdb {
 driver = pam