[Dovecot] Sieve filters on folders, different from INBOX

Valery V. Sedletski valerius at afterlogic.com
Tue Feb 26 16:40:06 EET 2013

I use mpop with a shell wrapper script. The fetcher is working on IMAP server side (not on user
side, as usual). So, it is used to pull email from several POP3 servers to our IMAP server. The mail is
stored in Maildir++ format. Yes, it is possible to configure fetcher to sort messages to folders by its own means,
but I'd like to implement the mail sorting by means of Sieve filters. The user can easy configure
filters in webmail interface, then it work with any IMAP client, because it is done on IMAP server side.

So, if sieve is invoked by lda, then, probably, I could invoke dovecot-lda from wrapper script on each mail
after it is fetched? But then it will be copied to INBOX... -- Is it possible to specify the other folder to deliver to,
to the deliver program?

>> outgoing mail to folders, specific
>
>outgoing mail is smtp, with i.e imap copy to sent folder etc
>if you want other folders your imap client should do it

So, I can invoke Sieve interpreter from SMTP server, or process it via dovecot-lda, like in fetcher case?

>try i.e
>
>https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/send-filter/?src=search
>

>> to their recipients.
>>
>> Thanhs in advance,
>
>i guess what you want in gneral ,is more advanced ( new ) handling
>of mail workflow at all, look at list archives for more info on
>some stuff you asked, some may work in the future with new features in
>imap and sieve, but meanwhile you have to workaround

I used such features with my old POP3 client (it was the good old PMMail in OS/2). But it
worked on POP3 client side, with local folders. It seemed to be not very advanced, but I just
got a case to implement the same with Dovecot and Exim :)