[Dovecot] getting quota error when accessing private namespace

Andreas Oster aoster at novanetwork.de
Fri Jul 12 08:27:49 EEST 2013

Hi all,

I have run into a problem which I cannot find a solution for.

I have created an additional private namespace with the following
commands in dovecot.conf :

namespace {
  disabled = no
  hidden = no
  ignore_on_failure = no
  inbox = no
  list = children
  location = maildir:/var/vmail/archives/%Ln/Maildir
  mailbox "archived mails" {
    auto = subscribe
    driver =
    special_use = \Archive
  }
  prefix = Archives/
  separator = /
  subscriptions = yes
  type = private
}

plugin {
  quota = maildir:User quota:ns=
  quota2 = maildir:Archives quota:ns=Archives/
  quota2_rule = *:storage=5G
  quota_rule = *:storage=1G
  quota_rule2 = Trash:storage=+200M
}

I can access the new namespace without any problems but every time
a folder in this namespace is accessed, I get the following error
messages in mail.err log:

  dovecot: imap(testuser): Error: quota: Unknown namespace: Archives/
  dovecot: last message repeated 49 times

Quota seems to work, though I have the feeling, that it only will be
updated when closing and reopening the mail client, but this can also
be a client issue.

Quota for the INBOX is either taken from LDAP or, if there is no value
defined in LDAP, will be assigned a quota of 1G

The Archives/ namespace has a static quota of 5G for every user.

Does anyone have idea how to get rid of these error messages ?

Thank you for your kind help

Andreas