[Dovecot] Archiving mail

Frerich Raabe raabe at froglogic.com
Thu Jul 18 15:21:56 EEST 2013

On 2013-07-18 14:14, Koenraad Lelong wrote:
> I'm going to migrate my company-mailserver to new hardware. I would
> like to take the opportunity to archive some older mail. But I would
> like to have it still accessible, would this be possible with dovecot
> ?
> I mean, I would like to put that older mail from different users (I
> got about 50 users) on some read-only media but mount that media in
> the users mail-dirs. That way I will have less to backup after I
> backup that old mail and store it safely away.
> I can't convince my users to really clean up their mailboxes, so I
> backup more than 100GB mail while the total backup is a bit more than
> 300GB.

I cannot really answer your question, but seeing that the size of the
backups is what triggers your question:

We use Maildir as the mail format and our backups are done using
rsync (rsnapshot, to be precise). This seems to scale reasonably well,
i.e.
rsync just copies those files which need to be copide, and rsnapshot
creates hardlinks to previous backups as far as possible. So our
nightly
backups are actually fairly small, most of them consist of hardlinks to
the next older backup we did.

Frerich Raabe - raabe at froglogic.com
www.froglogic.com - Multi-Platform GUI Testing