[Dovecot] Plus addressing

Larry Stone lstone19 at stonejongleux.com
Fri Sep 6 22:41:59 EEST 2013

On Fri, 6 Sep 2013, Charles Marcus wrote:

> On 2013-09-06 1:26 PM, Luuk at dovecot <dovecot at vosslamber.nl> wrote:
>>
>> procmail ?
>>

> No way, not with dovecot - use sieve...
>
> the only reason to even remotely consider procmial is if you had a huge
> investment in procmail rules.
>
> Procmail is ancient, unmaintained crap-crud... ;)

It may be unmaintained but since it works, what maintenance is needed.

I've looked at Sieve but from what I've read, it's not as capable as
Procmail. One thing I do with Procmail that I've yet to see as possible
with Sieve is for messages from a particular sender, scan the contents for
certain key phrases and if there, send an email to another external
address (the email address for sending text messages to my phone) with
content extracted from the original message (no, not a simple forward due
to the SMS character limit).

If Sieve is capable of the above, I'd appreciate a pointer to appropriate
documentation.

-- Larry Stone
    lstone19 at stonejongleux.com