[Dovecot] Basic clustered filesystem advice

Robert Schetterer rs at sys4.de
Mon Sep 16 17:09:56 EEST 2013

Am 16.09.2013 15:24, schrieb Simon Fraser:

> Time marches on, and I need to continue the service migration. I'd still
> like to use Dovecot (we're migrating away from Cyrus).  I'm assuming the
> only other alternative without existing shared storage is to use DRBD
> and a cluster file system to provide the replication, and to ensure
> Director is enabled.  Are there any things to watch for surrounding
> this?
>
> Simon.

please search the list archives, there are many posts with clustered
filesystems or nfs setups, both are possible, depends what might fit
best at your place / size, i have ocfs2 and drbd cluster working with
maildir on ubuntu lucid
( for better performance in special with bigger mailboxes dbox or mdbox
might be better today ) behind loadbalancers, if you brave you might try
ceph

perhaps have a look

http://sys4.de/de/blog/2013/06/10/loadbalancing-mit-keepalived-postfix-dovecot/

http://sys4.de/de/blog/2013/06/06/postfix-dovecot-ceph-cluster-storage/

sorry only german

i have no good reports in using gfs2 for cluster, but this might got
fixed recent

> On Fri, 2013-08-30 at 09:49 +0100, Simon Fraser wrote:
>> On Mon, 2013-08-19 at 12:08 +0100, Simon Fraser wrote:
>>> Are there any more tests I can run for this?
>>
>> I've tried an ssh-based replication configuration, and still experience
>> the same symptoms. Going through a director proxy also doesn't help (as
>> expected, that one, since I was already only connecting to one of the
>> servers)
>>
>> Simon.

Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer