[Dovecot] Move of mail folders to other mail account on same server

Jiri Bourek bourek at thinline.cz
Wed Apr 16 07:49:36 UTC 2014

Jan Valvekens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to move mail folders from one mail account to another mail
> account on the same server. Moving the folders via my mail client
> (Thunderbird) takes a long time. Therefore I wondered whether it's not
> possible to simply move the files on the server itself. If I unsubscribe
> to the folders in my source account, then move the folder and subscribe
> to the folders in my target account: will that work?

AFAIK it should work, at least with Maildir format - if you have enough
storage space on the server, you can test it by copying the files
(directories) instead of moving them.

Or you can try using doveadm - doveadm mailbox create to create the
folders in destination mailbox and then doveadm move to move messages
from source to destination account (provided your mail accounts share
the same UID and GID on the server.)

See wiki

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Tools/Doveadm/Mailbox
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Tools/Doveadm/Move