Trouble getting public folders working

Bjarne Mark Kondrup bmk at cego.dk
Tue Aug 19 13:47:20 UTC 2014

Hi i have trouble getting my public folders working properly. I have a
few issues atm with them.

First off i'm using version 2.0.9 as it came with CentOS and would
greatly prefer to keep this version.

Here is my dovecot.conf file

# dovecot -n
# 2.0.9: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.32-431.23.3.el6.centos.plus.x86_64 x86_64 CentOS release
6.5 (Final) ext4
auth_debug = yes
auth_verbose = yes
disable_plaintext_auth = no
first_valid_uid = 101
last_valid_uid = 101
login_greeting = Dovecot ready. CEGO webmail server
mail_debug = yes
mail_gid = vmail
mail_location = maildir:/home/vmail/domains/%d/%n
mail_uid = vmail
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope
encoded-character vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric
relational regex imap4flags copy include variables body enotify
environment mailbox date
mbox_write_locks = fcntl
namespace {
  inbox = yes
  location =
  prefix =
  separator = /
  type = private
}
namespace {
  location = maildir:/home/vmail/shared:LAYOUT=fs:INDEX=/home/vmail/shared/
  prefix = shared/
  separator = /
  subscriptions = no
  type = public
}
passdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf
  driver = ldap
}
plugin {
  sieve = /home/vmail/domains/%d/%n/dovecot.sieve
  sieve_dir = /home/vmail/domains/%d/%n/sieve_scripts
  sieve_global_dir = /etc/dovecot/sieve/global/
}
protocols = imap lmtp sieve
service auth {
  unix_listener auth-client {
    group = postfix
    mode = 0660
    user = postfix
  }
  unix_listener auth-master {
    group = vmail
    mode = 0660
    user = vmail
  }
  user = root
}
service lmtp {
  unix_listener /var/spool/postfix/private/dovecot-lmtp {
    group = postfix
    mode = 0600
    user = postfix
  }
}
service managesieve-login {
  inet_listener sieve {
    port = 4190
  }
}
ssl = no
ssl_cert = </etc/pki/dovecot/certs/dovecot.pem
ssl_key = </etc/pki/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem
userdb {
  driver = passwd
}
userdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf
  driver = ldap
}
valid_chroot_dirs = /home/vmail/domains
verbose_ssl = yes
protocol lmtp {
  log_path = /var/log/dovecot-deliver.log
  mail_plugins = quota sieve sieve acl
  postmaster_address = postmaster at cegotest.dk
}
protocol sieve {
  info_log_path = /var/log/dovecot-sieve.log
  log_path = /var/log/dovecot-sieve-errors.log
  managesieve_implementation_string = dovecot
  managesieve_max_line_length = 65536
}

And my dovecot-ldap file
hosts = localhost
dn = cn=dovecot,dc=cegotest,dc=dk
dnpass = password
auth_bind = yes
ldap_version = 3
base = o=hosting,dc=cegotest,dc=dk
deref = never
scope = subtree
user_filter =
(&(objectClass=JammMailAccount)(mail=%u)(accountActive=TRUE)(delete=FALSE))
pass_attrs = mail,userPassword
pass_filter =
(&(objectClass=JammMailAccount)(mail=%u)(accountActive=TRUE)(delete=FALSE))
default_pass_scheme = CRYPT

Here is my current issues.

1. I cannot get shared folders to work with pr. user settings. What i
want is a public folder that all my users can see but each user marks
mail as read individually. Atm no matter how i set it up if user1 marks
a mail as read, then user2 will also see that mail as read :(

2. ACL to control the permissions. Right now all users can move mail and
remove mail from the shared folders. I want people (except a few
specific users) to be read only on this public folders.

3. Need to know if i'm creating the folders correctly. Right now i'm
under my shared folder directory creating shared_folder and 3 subfolders
beneath it (cur, new and tmp). After this it shows up in eg. roundcube
and i can subscribe to it.

I have read all the documentation and tried all the solutions i can.
Mostly moving the index and/or config files to seperate dirs and from my
understanding that should give each user their own index file marking
what mails have been read ect. But this doesn't happen.

Hope you guys are able to help me out a little here.

-Bjarne