[Dovecot] Change to Maildir format (Was:Corrupted Mail?)

Arthur Dent arthurdent.london at gmail.com
Wed May 28 09:43:12 UTC 2014

I am seriously considering the change to Maildir format. I am however
more than a little concerned that this could all go horribly wrong. This
is what I am planning. Does it look sane?

Checklist

1) Stop the mail queue (essentially stop fetchmail)
2) Stop Dovecot
3) Backup all mbox files
4) Edit all procmail recipes (actually I will probably do this first -
working with copies - because this will be time-consuming) See below.
5) Convert mbox files to maildir using either mb2md or dsync (to be
decided)
6) Change Dovecot config
	Actually - As far as I can tell no configuration change is required.
Dovecot should just recognise the directories as maildirs. Is this
right?
7) Restart Dovecot
8) Restart Fetchmail

Have I missed anything?

Procmail scripts:
=================

I am quite concerned about this. I have a directory structure such as:

Home Inbox <-mbox
Work Inbox <-mbox
HobbyFile <-mbox
Malware <-directory
 L> Spam <-mbox
 L> Virus <-mbox
MLists <-directory
 L> Fedora <-mbox
 L> Dovecot <-mbox
 L> Spamassassin <-mbox
 L> ...etc...

My current procmail recipe for one example look like this:
	:0:
	* ^List-Id:.*users.lists.fedoraproject.org
	$DESTDIR/MLists/Fedora

I'm guessing it would need to change to:
	:0
	* ^List-Id:.*users.lists.fedoraproject.org
	$DESTDIR/.MLists.Fedora/

Is that right???
(Note: remove locking colon ":" and use of "." and trailing "/" in path)

Please advise - I am rather nervous of making a rather big mess here!

Thanks

Mark