Probably K9 not Outlook - Re: Outlook 2010 not connecting to secure POP3

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Sun Nov 23 23:27:27 UTC 2014

On 11/23/2014 05:59 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 23.11.2014 um 23:30 schrieb Robert Moskowitz:

>>> Yeah, such descriptions are leading to confusion, speculation
>>> k9 got mail downloaded before outlook could....no idea why sombody
>>> should use k9 with pop3
>>
>> And I did not know there was a K9 android app.  K9 like in guard dogs.
>
> that's why you should be precise in what you are posting - in context
> of mail K9 is for pretty anybody
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fsck.k9

Got it for next time.

>> The default settings only allow https stuff on port 443.  Must be some
>> attempt to get around controls to use TLS on any other port.
>
> uhm "telnet server port" is still the way to go *before* start other
> debuggings, if that don't work no need to try a high level client
> until that problem is solved

Well, since this was a secure connection test, needed openssl for the
connect, not telnet.  And how to do that on Windows?  I DID try it on
this F20 notebook, and of course it worked just fine.  That was why I
really suspected Windows TLS functions.  Then when I was trying again, I
caught a little pop up in the system tray saying how the nanny software
was blocking the bad program that was trying to do https to port 995...

I really should be so harsh about the nanny software.  It DOES protect a
lot of families from content they do not want to see. Just that the
defaults no longer match where we want internet privacy to go.