Trouble getting listescape plugin to work with "$" separator (as demonstrated in Wiki) in Dovecot 2.2.9

Ben Johnson ben at indietorrent.org
Thu Oct 2 14:23:16 UTC 2014

On 10/2/2014 9:57 AM, Teemu Huovila wrote:
> On 10/01/2014 09:43 PM, Ben Johnson wrote:
>> Ultimately, I have two questions:
>>
>> 1.) Is the nesting structure that I've employed correct? The Wiki 2 page
>> is not clear with regard to the nesting; is it correct to put the
>> "namespace" block inside the "protocol imap" block, as I demonstrated above?
> I think it would be better, if you put the namespace configuration at the top level. See
> http://master.wiki2.dovecot.org/Namespaces or 10-mail.conf and 15-mailboxes.conf, that are located in the
> doc/example-config/conf.d/ directory of the Dovecot sources, for more examples.
>
>> 2.) Is it possible to escape the dollar sign so that it can be used as
>> the separator?
> There was a mistake in the wiki. You should quote the $ like this: "$".
>
> br,
> Teemu Huovila

Teemu,

Thank you!!! Quoting the "$" fixed the syntax issue. And I moved the
namespace to the root level of the configuration, per your advice.

Now, the only problem I see is that when I attempt to create a new
folder beneath the Inbox (whether it contains a "." or not), the folder
appears at the root-level of the IMAP account, at the same level as the
Inbox itself. The folder name is "INBOX.My Folder".

Also, if I try to select the folder and view its contents, I receive the
error, "Mailbox doesn't exist: INBOX.My Folder". But this may simply be
a product of a misconfiguration on my part.

For what it's worth, this seems to happen regardless of the separator
that I define in the namespace.

Do I need to change something else in the Dovecot config for this to
work the way that I'm intending?

Thanks again for your invaluable assistance,

-Ben