90-sieve.conf syntax - moving from v2.0.x to v2.2.x

Tue Oct 21 14:24:07 UTC 2014

On 2014-10-20 11:59, deoren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently running version v2.0.x in production (using Maildir
> storage) and it's been working well. I'm interested in moving to
> version 2.2.x and am preparing a test server to do so. As I have been
> merging the conf file changes between the two versions I noticed
> syntax changes for the 90-sieve.conf file.
>
> There are now 'locations' and presumably to keep referring to local
> content I'll need to use the 'file:' location type.
>
> On my production box (v2.0.x) I have 90-sieve.conf configured like so:
>
> sieve = /var/vmail/sieve/%d/%n/.dovecot.sieve
> sieve_default = /var/vmail/sieve/global.sieve
> sieve_dir = /var/vmail/sieve/%d/%n/sieve_dir
>
> Inside of the /var/vmail/sieve/%d/%n/ directory (i.e.,
> /var/vmail/sieve/example.com/testuser/) I find:
>
> drwxr-xr-x 3 vmail vmail   64 Oct 19 12:07 .
> drwxr-xr-x 9 vmail vmail  101 Jun 21 10:47 ..
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 vmail vmail   25 Jun 21 11:10 .dovecot.sieve ->
> sieve_dir/roundcube.sieve
> -rw------- 1 vmail vmail 3694 Oct 19 12:07 .dovecot.svbin
> drwx------ 3 vmail vmail   38 Oct 19 11:58 sieve_dir
>
> and that works well.

I never did work out the new syntax, so I kept the older and so far it
is working fine with v2.2.13. I did have to remove the old compiled
versions of the Sieve scripts to get things working.

I had at least one case (one specific account) where the script was
recompiled automatically, but for the other accounts I did have to nuke
the *.svbin file to force a recompilation of the Sieve scripts. Only in
one case was a message logged (with debug mode enabled) re a version
mismatch and the script recompiled automatically.

It may not be the best way to do it, but this is what I did:

rm -i $(find . -type f /var/vmail/sieve/example.com/ | grep svbin)

After that the scripts began working as expected (using the older syntax
which I mentioned in the last email). If anyone has any suggestions for
updating the syntax for those configuration options I'd appreciate it. I
couldn't make heads or tails of it. Everything I thought should work
didn't.