concerning dovecot settings for high volume server

Urban Loesch bind at enas.net
Mon Sep 14 07:47:50 UTC 2015

Hi Rajesh,

our setup looks as follows:

- we are running linux-vserver as virtualization technology
- we have 2 dedicated IMAP/POP3 Proxies in front of 8 dovecot containers.
- totally about 2900 concurrent imap sessions on each imap proxy and about 180 concurrent pop3 sessions

- all dovecot containers are running on the same hardware (no problems until today):
	DELL PER720 with 2x 200GB RAID 1 SSD's for dovecot indexes, 8x 4TB RAID 10 for maildata, 2x300GB RAID1 for OS
	64GB RAM, 2x CPU E5-2640 0 @ 2.50GHz

- HA is Active/Passive with DRBD on 10GBIT dedicated NIC's for all 3 partitions.
- in summary there are about 47k accounts on it.
- 15minutes system load is between 0.5 - 2.5

- mailserver software is always postfix
- amavis with spamassassin and clamav
- opendkim, opendmarc as milter implementations

Front MX and antispam filtering is running on 2 different machines. Mail volume is between 200k and 600k (spam inclusive) per day.
We never faced some email re-download, only if the customers changes his mail client. But that's normal.

Hope that helps.

Best
Urban