Good email client to use with Dovecot?

Michael Felt michael at felt.demon.nl
Sat Nov 19 15:34:15 UTC 2016

On 19/11/2016 16:18, Michael Felt wrote:
> On 18/11/2016 14:19, Tanstaafl wrote:
>> Comments about the retired TB:
>> >‎https://blog.mozilla.org/thunderbird/
>
> As far as webmail being the future - imho - I am getting away from it,
> and that is why dovecot is worth investigating as port to replace the
> imap program supplied with my server OS.
>
> As far as the blog entry above - that is dated 9 december 2015, and
> nothing newer.
An older blog is, imho, more accurate about the relationship and hence
status on the relationship of Mozilla as an 'owner' aka 'legal home' and
Thunderbird as an 'owned project' - see

QUOTE from blog:
https://blog.lizardwrangler.com/2015/12/03/thunderbird-update/

I’ve seen some characterize this as Mozilla “dropping” Thunderbird. This
is not accurate. We are going to disentangle the technical
infrastructure. We are going to assist the Thunderbird community. This
includes working with organizations that want to invest in Thunderbird,
several of which have stepped forward already. Mozilla Foundation will
serve as a fiscal sponsor for Thunderbird donations during this time.

I also noted that we should look at whether Mozilla remains the best
organizational and legal home for Thunderbird. This is a separate
question from the technical infrastructure. This question is much more
wide open. I don’t know what the answer will be. It could be that
Mozilla remains the best home, based on history, affiliation and shared
community. It could also be that a home geared to open source projects
of Thunderbird’s size and scope is better suited. I can imagine either
being the case. We have decided to separate the technical infrastructure
and to explore what is best for Thunderbird and for the Mozilla project
as a whole.

These discussions are at a very early stage. Finding the right solution
requires some effort. This is Mozilla focusing on a more forward looking
path, one aimed at longer term stability rather than continuing the
status quo.

ENDQUOTE