Metrics service

Matt Simpson dclist at list.jmatt.net
Mon Aug 14 18:16:38 EEST 2017

> On Aug 14, 2017, at 5:42 AM, Aki Tuomi <aki.tuomi at dovecot.fi> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> We are open for any feedback, questions or comments for this service.

Two questions.  First one is I guess just a newbie configuration question.  My existing dovecot.conf ends with
!include conf.d/*.conf
!include_try local.conf

I didn’t have a local.conf, so I decided that would be a good place to put this.  I created it with
auth_stats=yes
mail_plugins = $mail_plugins stats
stats_carbon_server = 94.237.81.63
stats_carbon_server = [2a04:3542:1000:910:acc1:5bff:fe5e:8c2]
stats_carbon_name = RedHorseMail
plugin {
  stats_refresh = 30s
}

At startup, I get error (warning?)

Aug 14 10:50:38 v1 dovecot: config: Warning: /usr/local/etc/dovecot/local.conf line 2: Global setting mail_plugins won't change the setting inside an earlier filter at /usr/local/etc/dovecot/conf.d/15-lda.conf line 48 (if this is intentional, avoid this warning by moving the global setting before /usr/local/etc/dovecot/conf.d/15-lda.conf line 48)

I sort of understand what this is telling me, that my new mail_plugins directive clashes with the previous one in 15-lda.conf, which is
   mail_plugins = $mail_plugins sieve

But aren’t both of these commands concatenations, which effectively add more plugins to the existing $mail_plugins string, so that they’re cumulative and not really conflicting?  Can I just ignore this message?  Is there a way to make it go away?

It appears that, in spite of the warning, the stats code is activating, or attempting to activate, which brings me to my second question.

In my dovecot log, I see
 Error: stats: open(/var/run/dovecot/stats-mail) failed: Permission denied

/var/run/dovecot/stats-mail does not exist, I assume it is trying to create it and being denied by permissions on /var/run/dovecot, which is
drwxr-xr-x  5 root   wheel     1024 Aug 14 10:51 dovecot

Do I need to change ownership of that directory to the dovecot user?

$ doveconf -n
# 2.2.29.1 (e0b76e3): /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# Pigeonhole version 0.4.18 (29cc74d)
doveconf: Warning: /usr/local/etc/dovecot/local.conf line 2: Global setting mail_plugins won't change the setting inside an earlier filter at /usr/local/etc/dovecot/conf.d/15-lda.conf line 48 (if this is intentional, avoid this warning by moving the global setting before /usr/local/etc/dovecot/conf.d/15-lda.conf line 48)
doveconf: Warning: /usr/local/etc/dovecot/local.conf line 2: Global setting mail_plugins won't change the setting inside an earlier filter at /usr/local/etc/dovecot/conf.d/15-lda.conf line 48 (if this is intentional, avoid this warning by moving the global setting before /usr/local/etc/dovecot/conf.d/15-lda.conf line 48)
# OS: FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE-p9 amd64
auth_stats = yes
auth_verbose = yes
default_vsz_limit = 128 M
lock_method = flock
mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir
mail_plugins = " stats"
mail_privileged_group = mail
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope encoded-character vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric relational regex imap4flags copy include variables body enotify environment mailbox date index ihave duplicate mime foreverypart extracttext vnd.dovecot.pipe vnd.dovecot.execute
namespace inbox {
  inbox = yes
  location =
  prefix =
}
passdb {
  args = imap
  driver = pam
}
plugin {
  recipient_delimiter = -
  sieve = file:~/sieve;active=~/.dovecot.sieve
  sieve_execute_bin_dir = /usr/local/lib/dovecot/sieve-pipe
  sieve_extensions = +vnd.dovecot.pipe +vnd.dovecot.execute
  sieve_pipe_bin_dir = /usr/local/lib/dovecot/sieve-pipe
  sieve_pipe_exec_timeout = 10s
  sieve_plugins = sieve_extprograms
  stats_refresh = 30s
}
protocols = imap
service auth {
  unix_listener auth-master {
    group = qnofiles
    mode = 0660
    user = alias
  }
  user = root
}
service imap-login {
  process_min_avail = 3
  vsz_limit = 94 M
}
ssl_cert = </usr/local/etc/letsencrypt/live/dummy.redhorse.me/fullchain.pem
ssl_cipher_list = EECDH+AESGCM:EDH+AESGCM:AES256+EECDH:AES256+EDH
ssl_dh_parameters_length = 2048
ssl_key =  # hidden, use -P to show it
ssl_prefer_server_ciphers = yes
ssl_protocols = !SSLv2 !SSLv3
stats_carbon_name = RedHorseMail
stats_carbon_server = [2a04:3542:1000:910:acc1:5bff:fe5e:8c2]
syslog_facility = local0
userdb {
  driver = passwd
}