LMTP and Postfix

kenneth topp toppk at bllue.org
Tue Aug 22 16:30:44 EEST 2017

> I am setting up a new system that will be using Dovecot with Postifx. I am
> planning on using LMTP. I read the wiki and and found the
> settings I need to make in Dovecot and the Postfix main.cf file. However,
> saw nothing about the Postfix master.cf file. Do I need to make and
> changes to
> it also?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Jerry

There are several ways of telling postfix to use lmtp to deliver to dovecot.
 I went with a method that was setting just the *_transport variable in
main.cf to a unix pipe, so I didn't need to setup a service in master.cf.

Here are two methods (for mailbox, not virtual mailbox), that show that
depending on what you put in main.cf, you may or may not need to update
master.cf

===
method 1
===
main.cf
-
mailbox_transport=dovecot
dovecot_destination_recipient_limit=1
-
master.cf
-
dovecot   unix  –       n       n       –       –       pipe
flags=DRhu user=mail:mail argv=/usr/lib/dovecot/dovecot-lda -f ${sender}
-d ${recipient}
-

===
method 2
===
main.cf
-
mailbox_transport = lmtp:unix:private/dovecot-lmtp
-

HTH,

Ken