Multi-dbox storage space

MRob mrobti at insiberia.net
Mon Feb 4 00:31:10 EET 2019

On 2019-02-03 21:12, Philon wrote:

>> On 03 Feb 2019, at 22:07, MRob <mrobti at insiberia.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hi, I originally picked mdbox because I had the impression from
>> reading about it on the mailing list that it was more performant and
>> that it would conserve disc space.
>>
>> But lately i found mailboxes have nearly double the storage as
>> reported. I mean, IMAP QUOTA reports around 900MB for one account that
>> has over 2GB when I inspect the mail location of the user using the
>> linux command `du`
>>
>> Another account has around 750MB according to IMAP but using du I find
>> 1.5GB. This is for message files and index files combined.
>>
>> Is this normal? I tried to read the MailboxFormat/dbox wiki page and
>> it does not directly address this topic but it does reference "doveadm
>> purge". Do I need to use "doveadm purge"?
>
> From https://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/dbox:
>
>> Expunging a message only decreases the message's refcount. The space
>> is later freed in "purge" step.

Thats what I read but I had a hard time to believe I could understand it
was a critical maintenance because it was not highlighted in the docs.

I ran purge and find now "du" reporting about 60% the size of IMAP QUOTA
so mdbox now is saving space and I'm very happy for Dovecot again is
good software. But may I ask developers it is not common belief of
administrators to know they must purge message storage - can you please
make this a warning in highlight and big text on the mailformat
documentation? I think this is a ciritcal oversight

PS for 10.000+ users how heavy is this process on performance? what if
100.000+ users?