index problems after update

Gonzalo Palacios Goicolea gonzalo.palacios at externo.uam.es
Thu Feb 21 15:12:51 EET 2019

El 21/02/2019 a las 10:51, Aki Tuomi via dovecot escribió:
> On 21.2.2019 10.53, Hajo Locke via dovecot wrote:

>> Thanks for your answer.
>>> Core dump with backtrace would help, if possible to acquire. Please
>>> refer to https://dovecot.org/bugreport.html for information how to
>>> get a core dump.
>>>
>>> Aki
>>>
>> Unfortunately its hard to get a backtrace because dovecot is not
>> crashing. so it seems to be more a kind of logic problem in code and
>> no unexpected situation.
>> yesterday evening i had next incident. I upgraded from 2.2.33.2 to
>> 2.2.36.1, but same behaviour. Also 2.2.36.1 is tricked by the broken
>> index and delivers no new mails. it starts delivering if i delete
>> index files. At this point i cant tell if 2.2.36.1 also has same bug
>> and writes a damaged index, but very likely.  We dont know this
>> problems with 2.2.22, between 2.2.22 and 2.2.33.2 a change on
>> mbox-index code must happend which leads to this big problem. So imapd
>> cant do what he was created for.
>>
>> For next incident i prepared a 2.3.2.1 on base of Ubuntu 18.10 and
>> will try this. In my opinion this is a major problem and i expect a
>> lot of affected people with version > 2.2.22 and classic mbox-storage.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Hajo
> We consider mbox + procmail setup somewhat edge case, and if the core
> dump does not point into something more generic, it will probably not
> get fixed. It is more likely to have this working if you use
> dovecot-lda/lmtp with sieve instead of procmail.
>
> Aki

Hi Aki,
In support of Hajo I've to say that a few days ago I posted a similar
issue, and I use dovecot-lda+sieve. My environment has RHEL6 and 7
servers. When I last updated the servers RHEL6 servers mantained
2.2.10-1_14.el6.x86_64 version, while RHEL7 updated dovecot from
2.2.10-8.el7.x86_64 to 2.2.36-3.el7.x86_64. When the RHEL7 servers (used
for sympa) processed a message for a user, its indexes were corrupted,
and the user could't access his inbox through webmail, so I had to
delete dovecot.* files from the user mail path to get it working again.
My solution was to downgrade dovecot and dovecot-pigeonhole back to
2.2.10-8.el7.x86_64
Regards

*Gonzalo
*