JMAP support in Dovecot

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Tue May 28 10:49:25 EEST 2019

On Wed, May 22, 2019, at 23:43, Tanstaafl via dovecot wrote:
> On Wed May 22 2019 05:44:59 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), Aki Tuomi
> via dovecot <dovecot at dovecot.org> wrote:
> > Unfortunately we have not been able to work on this much, but also the
> > JMAP spec was until very recently still being worked. We have open
> > dialogue with the Thunderbird people, they haven't so far indicated any
> > pressing need for JMAP in Dovecot.
> >
> > This said, JMAP is still very much in our roadmap. Perhaps just not as
> > close as I initially thought.

Obviously I'd love to help out in any way possible here! We're very keen to see JMAP support in Dovecot to encourage others to move towards it as well.

> Thanks Aki - no pressing need because of the old chicken/egg problem I
> guess...
>
> That said, a few tidbits...
>
> The Thunderbird Devs are using Topicbox for discussing Thunderbird UI
> development, and Topicbox is built directly on top of JMAP for the email
> integration (I'm not sure they even knew this until I told them yesterday):
>
> From: https://fastmail.blog/2018/12/27/jmap-is-on-the-home-straight/
>
> "But enough about the software, how about the experience! When we
> created our brand new Topicbox product, we built directly on top of JMAP
> for the email. We also used JMAP-inspired APIs for the rest of the
> product experience, so Topicbox’s early users have been on JMAP for over
> a year now."
>
> Lastly, Fastmail is now rolling it out - 30% of their userbase is on
> JMAP, and all new users are automatically on it. Cyrus also provides
> experimental JMAP support in their development snapshots.

Actually, 99% of our user base has been on JMAP for about 4 months now! The one remaining percent was users with the old version of our mobile apps, and they're being cut off next month.

As for JMAP mail and JMAP core - they're currently with the RFC editor for the final round of edits - they should have assigned RFC numbers in the next few weeks I would imagine. There will be some minor editorial polish, but the way it works is entirely stable now, there won't be more changes.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-jmap-core/
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-jmap-mail/

We're planning to have full support for everything in those specs into Cyrus IMAP version 3.2 as well. Right now there's a couple of gaps that we either don't use at FastMail or are papering around with our perl middleware. You can see the remaining tasks here as we progress:

https://github.com/cyrusimap/cyrus-imapd/labels/3.2

Cheers,

Bron.

--