2FA for Dovecot

Kees de Jong kees.dejong+dev at neobits.nl
Tue Jan 7 11:03:00 EET 2020

I did mention OTP for 2FA, and OTP can be indeed Google Authenticator,
the reason I'm not that specific is because the documentation isn't :)

PAM can indeed be used for this, I've read some list conversations
about this [1], [2]. However, as I mentioned in my first post, I'm
interested to know about the internal Dovecot authentication methods.
Since using PAM requires local users and I prefer using the virtual
users inside Dovecot.

There are several OTP authentication mechanisms in the source code [3],
[4], [5]. However, these lack documentation [6]. Therefore, I would
like to explore these builtin authentication methods first.

Is there someone in the Dovecot community that can provide some more
information about this, or the status of these authentication modules?

[1] https://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2013-March/088844.html
[2] https://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2007-February/019340.html
[3] https://github.com/dovecot/core/blob/master/src/auth/mech-otp.c
[4]