2FA for Dovecot

Michael Peddemors michael at linuxmagic.com
Thu Jan 9 02:08:08 EET 2020

Happy New Year all..

Still awaiting the merge of our variable capabilities patch.. once that
is out, we can release the plugin for CLIENTID which can do all your 2FA
for you as well..

Looking forward to a great 2020.  Also be aware, the last two (2) months
have seen a significant increase in brute force attacks against IMAP
servers.. mostly using variations of older data breach passwords..

Make sure you have some form of 'weak password' detection in place.

Also, the sheer size of the botnets (IoT devices) means increased loads
on your servers, so seriously consider country AUTH blocking, if your
users don't need to log in from foreign countries, if you haven't already..

"MaxMind" makes that very easy, just be aware that they have changed
some policies.. make sure you give them acreditation where due.

A lot of the attacks are against NON-TLS/SSL ports, but everyone should
slowly move to simply blocking Port 110/143 AUTH attempts, if you really
want to protect your users.

  AUTH failure: 'michael at linuxmagic.com' CLIENTID enforced and missing
CLIENTID or CLIENTID_TYPE rip=61.148.29.198 (CN) lip=192.168.0.204:143
(NON-TLS)

--
"Catch the Magic of Linux..."